3 Ways to Sync Your ‘Moon’ Cycle to the Moon
Let’s observe the significant connection between the lunar cycle and a woman’s menstrual cycle. Much like the influence the moon has upon the tides, a woman’s monthly cycle is also directly affected by the energy of the moon.
The lunar phases and a woman’s cycle and the are essentially the same cycle; both 28 days in length, and containing 4 phases (which are also curiously representative of the 4 seasons, and 4 stages of a woman’s life.)
In the times before electricity, women ovulated when the moon was full, and menstruated when the moon was dark. The pineal gland in our brain tells our ovaries, by hormones, to release an egg based on the amount of light our brain senses in the night when we are asleep. Upon a full moon when there is most light in the night, the full moon, we are biologically programmed to ovulate.
This causes us to menstruate with the new moon; the time when energy is naturally more inwardly focused anyway.
Modern life with constant exposure to artificial light has and the hormone-imbalancing foods we consume disrupt our bodies natural inclination to be in synchronicity with the moon. Many of the adverse symptoms we experience as women upon our cycles are consequential to our resistance and even hatred towards this perfectly natural and beautiful process of femininity. Honoring and embracing a woman’s cycle is one of the most empowering things a woman can do. It is an opportunity to recognize and unite with the rhythms of nature and participate in correcting the imbalances that have been created in our world through not honoring the feminine; something that must be addressed globally so we can live harmoniously on our planet.
1) Practice regularly observing the moon, tracking its path across the sky, and noticing its waxing and waning. Just this simple connection with mother nature will stimulate your bodies natural inclination to ovulate upon a full moon.
2) Begin to observe your bodies current cycle. Mark your calender, or somehow document the phases of your cycle. There are plenty of apps available for your mobile device which make it easy to track when you ovulate, the average length of your cycle, estimated dates for menstruation, and also provide space to document the more subtle or emotional effects of different parts of your cycle and the lunar phases. This is also an incredibly powerful method of either planning or preventing pregnancy; simply by knowing when you are fertile.
3) Use your favorite methods of manifestation to will your cycle in sync with that of nature. Meditate upon it, pray for it, envision it, affirm it.
2) Write a letter: to your highest Self? (Or to the Universe, to God, to Jesus, Allah, Krishna, Buddha, you pick; it’s all just different names to the same thing isn’t it?) ;) Write 3 things that you’d like to release in life: thoughts, attitudes, relationships, judgement etc; anything that you are aware of that stands in between you and your highest Self. Then, write 3 things you intend on manifesting into your life; dreams, health goals, financial goals etc.
3) Light the incense and the candle; infusing it with your intentions.
4) Meditate on this! Pray, affirm, or chant mantra. I often play on my singing bowl to really sending this intention out into the world; riding out on the tidal waves of sound vibration.
5) Burn the letter; setting it free to the Universe to manifest in time as the moon grows full.
Meet the Author: Britney Stables
Britney is a passionate yogini, writer, musician, tree & cow-hugging, kombucha & tea drinking, bohemian, Virgo currently travelling around the world. She help people shift their energy using a vast array of healing techniques picked up from around the globe to support them on their journey to creating a life in alignment with their highest, most divinely authentic and true Self!
All Articles by Britney StablesNovember 13, 2013 | Britney Stables